We’ve made Vellum a free download so that you can try it out before you make a purchase. After you install Vellum on your computer, you’ll be able to import your manuscript, explore styles, and preview how your book will appear. A purchase is only necessary when you’re ready to publish.
Have questions about purchasing? We’ve collected frequent ones here.
- How do I purchase a license?
The best way to purchase a license is from within Vellum. Start by pressing the Purchase button in the upper-right corner of the window, or by opening the Vellum menu at the top of your screen and selecting Purchases:
Your license is automatically installed after your transaction completes.
- Can I purchase a license without using Vellum?
- Yes. You can also purchase a license from the web-based Vellum Store. Once you’ve completed your purchase, you can install your license using Vellum’s Restore feature.
- Is there a time limit to using the free download?
- No, you can use Vellum for as long as you need. You just won’t be able to Generate files for publishing until you make a purchase.
- Why is Vellum asking me to purchase again?
- If you’ve purchased a license directly from our web-based store, or have recently moved to a new computer, then you will need to submit a Restore request to install your license.
- What if Vellum doesn’t work for me?
- Because Vellum is free to download, you should be able evaluate how Vellum works for your book without making a purchase. But if you do purchase a license and find that Vellum isn’t right for you, you can cancel your purchase within 30 days for a refund. Please contact us if that’s what you decide.
- Is there a limit to how many books I create?
- No! Create as many books as you can write.
- Is there a limit to pen names?
- Can I use my license on a second computer I own?
- Yes. You can use Restore to install your license on an additional computer.
- Can I use my license to format books for other authors?
- Yes. But please keep in mind that we won’t be able to provide support to authors who are not our customers.
- Can I share my license with my co-worker or assistant?
- Is this a yearly subscription or a one-time purchase?
- It’s a one-time purchase.
- Will I have to pay for updates?
- No. Updates to Vellum are free. In the future, we may introduce new, optional functionality available for an additional purchase. But you will not need to pay for updated versions of the software.
- What is the difference between Vellum Ebooks and Vellum Press?
- Vellum Ebooks allows you to format your book in ebook form only. With Vellum Press, you can also create a print edition, which you can have printed as a paperback or hardcover.
- How much does it cost to print books created with Vellum Press?
- Pricing will depend on the print-on-demand service you use, as well as factors like the length of your book and whether it is in color or black & white. As an example, you can refer to the Printing Costs for Amazon’s popular KDP service.
- Can I switch from Vellum Ebooks to Vellum Press?
If you change your mind within 30 days of your purchase of Vellum Ebooks, please contact us and we can make an exchange for the difference in price.
After that time, you can upgrade from Vellum Ebooks to Vellum Press for $69.99 USD. To begin, open the Vellum menu, select Purchases, and then press Upgrade.
- I read that you could pay to format a single book. Where is this option?
Individual ebook credits were discontinued in 2017 and are no longer available.
If you previously purchased ebook credits, you do have the option to upgrade to Vellum Ebooks or Vellum Press. To do that, open the Vellum menu, select Purchases, and then press Upgrade.
- What are the system requirements of Vellum?
- To use Vellum, you’ll need a Mac running one of these versions of macOS:
macOS Sonoma (14) macOS Ventura (13) macOS Monterey (12) macOS Big Sur (11)
Vellum is a universal application, and will run natively on Macs using Apple silicon as well as on older Macs with Intel processors.
You will need at least 200 MB free space on your computer to install Vellum. Books that you generate will require additional space.
- Can I run Vellum on my iPad?
- No. iPads use a different operating system. Vellum can only run a Mac.
- Are you creating a Windows version?
At this time, we’re focused on the Mac version of our software, and don’t have plans to develop a native version for Windows.
It is possible, however, to use Vellum on Windows by renting a Mac “in the cloud” that you can access via your PC.
Have a question not answered here? Send us a message.