You can use Vellum’s Styles to quickly change the look of your entire book, or just adjust certain aspects.
- The Styles Pane
- Choosing a Style
- Configuring Styles
- Style Features
- Accessible Styles
- Saved Styles
The Styles Pane
To access the Styles Pane, click the Styles icon in the Contents / Styles selector shown in the toolbar:
Choosing a Style
In Styles, you can choose from dozens of built-in style options:
To browse Styles, scroll up and down in the middle pane. Selecting a Style will apply it instantly to your entire book.
To help you choose your Style, use Style Categories on the left. Select a Category like Serif to narrow down your choices, or select All Styles to see every option available.
Each Style has been configured for features like drop caps, ornamental breaks, and more. If you want to change these options, click the Configure button in the upper-right:
In Configure mode, you’ll be able to choose from Style Features like Heading, First Paragraph, and Paragraph After Break:
By default, Vellum will only show the Style Features used in your book. You can change this display using the popup at the bottom of the list:
When you’re done configuring a Style, press the back button shown to the left of the Style name.
Note: A style that has been changed from its default configuration will be noted with an asterisk next to its name in the Styles Browser.
Vellum allows you to configure the following style features:
- The title of each chapter
- Heading Background
- The backdrop behind the beginning of each chapter
- First Paragraph
- The very first paragraph in each chapter
- Paragraph After Break
- Paragraphs that begin a new scene
- Header and Footer
- Content at the top and bottom of each page in print
- Options that affect the main content your book
These style features control how specific Text Features appear in your book:
- Ornamental Break
- An image that appears between scenes
- Block Quotation
- Format for quotations used in chapters
- The appearance of lyrics or poetry used in your book
- Text Conversation
- Options for styling text messages sent between characters
- Written Note
- Font choices for the Written Notes included in your book
- Border options for Inline Images set to Photograph
- Shape options for Inline Images set to Portrait
- The appearance of Inline Image captions
Vellum includes a selection of accessible styles, with formatting that supports a diverse range of reading abilities:
More information can be found in Accessible Styles.
Once you’ve configured your Style, you can save your configuration for use in other books.
With your configured Style selected, click the menu button in the upper right corner and choose Save Style:
After providing a name for your Style, you’ll find it in the Saved Styles category:
See the Saved Styles help page for more details.
- I don’t see any drop caps in my book
The First Paragraph and Paragraph After Break styles only apply to the bodymatter of your book. If you don’t see your selected style, try converting your element into a Chapter (or Prologue or Epilogue).